You all know by now that I love solo travel. I shout it from the rooftops every chance I get. You probably want me to shut up about it.
Well, I just can’t help myself. Solo travel has allowed me to become my own significant other and BFF, and I just can’t shut up about it.
Today I’ve had some extra time to think about all things travel-related while waiting and waiting for other people to get things done, and I realized that solo travel is like dating yourself. Here are the highlights of my swirl of random thoughts:
1. You choose a nice outfit (or four) for your travels just like you would for a date. You want it to fit the occasion but also be something that makes you feel good and is comfortable to wear.
2. You make an effort to find reasonably priced but comfortable and classy transportation. You wouldn’t want to take your date out in a rusted out Chevy Pinto, but you also don’t need to drop a wad of cash on renting a Maserati. Same goes with solo travel. You don’t need to fly first class, but you certainly don’t want to fly on a no-name airline with a questionable safety record.
3. You treat yourself to whatever restaurant you want for dinner. You would let your date choose the restaurant, wouldn’t you? Treat yourself to your favorite cuisine when traveling solo. Why not?
4. You allow yourself a few special indulgences. Sometimes you buy your date a little something special. A bouquet of flowers or a box of chocolate before the date or a delicious dessert at the end can make the date so much sweeter.
5. You take tons of pictures to document your special love story. Everyone loves to have a few pictures of their sweetheart to display on their desks at work. If your love affair is with travel, why not show it off?
I can’t deny how much I love traveling on my own, and now I think I finally understand why. I’m treating myself to whatever my little heart desires every time I take myself on a trip. I’m the best date ever!
Do you see where I’m coming from, or do you think I’ve lost my mind? Share in the comments!